Study May Alter Method Of Roommate Selection

By Richard E. Ashcraft

Selection methods for choosing roommates from the incoming freshman class may be changed, due to the results of a study now being concluded on roommate choices, according to Harry H. Hoehler, Assistant Dean of Freshmen.

The Freshman Dean's Office, Hoehler said, "plan to use some of the categories employed by the roommate study in our coding for the matching of roommates." However, he added, "to what extent they will be used still has to be worked out." He stated that the aims of the study can "eventually" be included in the selection process and perhaps be used in the roommate assignments for the Class of '63.

The study is Project FIRO-B--Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation, being conducted by William C. Schutz, lecturer and research associate for the Department of Social Relations. The study was launched last fall for the purpose of determining what factors are most important in the selection of roommates.

Preliminary findings indicate that the Affection criterion, the agreement between potential roommates on how close the relationship between roommates should be, tends to confirm FIRO's compatibility predictions better than any other criterion used in the personality study. Among the other criteria considered are Inclusion, the amount of contact one desires with other people, and Control, different attitudes toward decision-making.

According to Schutz, the final purpose of the study will be to compare results of roommate predictions based upon personality factors, with results of predictions based upon sociological factors, such as religion, strength of religious faith, geographical area, economic status, private or public school background, and intelligence.

There was a great variability in the accuracy of predictions from one entry to another.