Undefeated 150-Pound Oarsmen Winners of Henley Challenge Cup

The Harvard University lightweight crew, the only American entry to reach the finals, continued its undefeated skein by winning the Thames Challenge Cup at Henley, England on July 5.

The Crimson turned in a six minutes 57 second time on the one mile 550 yard course in triumphing over Britain's Thames Rowing Club by 3/4's of a length.

In its trip to victory, Harvard defeated the Twickenham Rowing Club, Kent (Connecticut) School, and Washington and Lee High School of Arlington, Virginia on successive days, and the Royal Air Force Benson Rowing Club on the morning of the final encounter.

Final victory in the afternoon marked the first time that Harvard had won the cup in the 90-year-old event.

Harvard earned the invitation to attend the Henley Regatta by climaxing an undefeated American season with a victory at the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges' Sprints on May 17.

America's other Henley hope, the University of Washington heavyweight crew, had been eliminated two days before the final by the Russian Trud (Labor) Crew which won the Grand Challenge Cup.