Harvard and the NSA

The Student Council has scheduled for early discussion the perennial question of continued membership in the National Student Association. In some quarters, unfortunately, there is strong feeling that Harvard, like several other Ivy League colleges, does not benefit from the NSA and should therefore withdraw its support.

While the NSA is currently doing its most important work in the area of racial integration, which does not affect Harvard directly, this organization is still the sole official voice of American students, and as such wields a power and responsibility which exceeds the sometimes half-hearted support it receives from many Eastern colleges.

Withdrawal of Council support, in this regard, would sever all official College relations with other universities and deprive undergraduates of the opportunity to participate in the formulation of policy which affects them in a vital and worthwhile way. For the Council, a vote to abandon the NSA would mean the loss of whatever perspective and stature it enjoys as a member of a larger and national organization.

The Council, rightly or wrongly, has recently limited itself to playing the role of an undergraduate pressure group vis a vis the University administration. This decision, however, does not preclude the possibility that the Council is capable of enlaring its scope of activity nationally, as the Harvard liason with NSA. Enjoying a certain amount of prestige within the NSA at the present, Harvard--represented by the Council--is capable of exerting strong influence and prudent counsel.

Policy formed at NSA convention is often either superficially debated or not at all, and resolutions are pushed through with frightening haste. But rather than abandoning this as a hopeless situation beyond redemption, the Council should try, through more energetic participation and thoughtful planning, to strengthen its position as an important member of the NSA.