Wyeth Hall First University Dorm Open to Women

The University moved one step closer towards complete co-education this fall with the opening of Wyeth Hall for women graduate students enrolled in the University.

Previously the only women students in residence have been members of Radcliffe. The new dormitory at 1595 Mass. Ave. houses 73 women students of the Graduate Schools of Education, Law, Divinity, Design and Public Administration.

One teaching fellow welcomed the new arrangement, declaring that he hoped it would prelude a greater number of female graduate students.

However, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services, said the new dormitory forecast "no change in policy." The University has no plans at present for any more dormitories for women graduate students, he said.

Trottenberg explained that the use of Wyeth Hall as a women's dormitory arose as a logical result from the University having acquired the dorm in a "package" deal with Sargent College following its purchase last spring. The building at 1595 Mass. Ave. was remodeled during the summer.

Mr. and Mrs. Allan McKillop are the Head Residents of the dormitory named for Stuart Wyeth '84. Wyeth's bequest to the University has been used to build the Biological Laboratories, the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard Observatory, the Peabody Museum, and the School of Dental Medicine.