Council Defeats Motion To Study NSA Decision

'Harvard Is a Leader'

By Richard E. Ashcraft

A motion to have the president of the Student Council appoint a committee to meet with proponents of the National Student Association to discuss Harvard's membership in the organization was defeated 9 to 5 by the Council at its meeting last night.

Speaking on behalf of the motion offered by NSA advocates, Derek T. Winans '60, Chairman of the Harvard Freedom Council, said, "Harvard is the leading academic institution in the country, and it should act like a leader."

Winans admitted that reforms are needed within the NSA, but added, "quitting the organization doesn't seem to be the answer."

In arguing for a reconsideration of membership in the association, he pointed out that the NSA offers a means for discussion of such topics as tuition and board rates, draft laws, integration, and federal aid to education.

Quoting Leland, Winans said, "The financial problem is not the major one in the consideration of NSA." Since supporters of the Association have offered to provide half the cost of membership, Winans asserted that, "it is absolutely necessary that the Council do no less than hold a referendum." One member of the Council speaking against the motion declared, "The NSA has tended to use Harvard's name for certain proposals and viewpoints which we haven't had a chance to speak on."

Another Council member asserted that "one of the greatest failings of the Student Council has been its lack of contact with the students, and this issue has brought that out."

After the motion was defeated, the chair ruled further discussion on NSA out of order. Leland explained that anyone who wanted to could discuss the matter at the Councils open agenda meeting on Oct. 14.

Further undergraduate support for continued Harvard membership in the NSA developed yesterday when Bakhtiyar Ali Khan '59. Secretary of the Harvard Islamic Society, announced his group's opposition to the Council's vote for withdrawal. The full text of Khan's statement may be found on page five.