Three on PBH Housing List Admit to Bias

By Martha E. Miller

Three Cambridge landlords who are listed on the University Housing Registry yesterday admitted that they do not rent rooms or apartments to non-white students. Their names were among nine sent to the CRIMSON last week by Mrs. Linda N. Larkin, who stated that these people had refused to rent to a Negro couple.

Another three homeowners named by Mrs. Larkin denied the accusation of discrimination and insisted a mistake had been made. Three more could not be reached for comment.

Most of the landlords stated that the University Housing Registry at PBH asked no questions about discrimination before listing their names. One woman, however, claimed that the Registry knew she would not rent to Negroes, but did not remove her listing.

The possibility of objections by other tenants and neighbors was the reason given by the three landlords who refuse to rent to non-whites. Several comments were: "I'm thinking of my neighbors. They might not like it, you know." "This is not a neighborhood that I feel would accept this." "If people in the house don't like it, they'll move out."

Mr. and Mrs. John R. Myer of 146 Upland Road not only denied the charge of discrimination, but said, "We went to the International Student Center and specifically requested minority students, but none came." Mrs. Myer felt that Mrs. Larkin had misunderstood her reason for not renting to a Negro couple--"I'm not willing to rent to any couple," she said. "Our rooms are simply too small."

Whitlock Replies

Mrs. Larkin, who sent a copy of her letter to President Pusey, said she received a reply from Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President on civic affairs, saying that the University was interested in the problems of minority students and would take her information under consideration.

Richard E. Rubenstein '59, PBH President, predicted that the Housing Registry procedures would be revised soon, "in a matter of days, I think."