Freshmen Ask Envoy Mikoyan To University

The Freshman Council has invited Soviet Deputy Premier Anastas I. Mikoyan to speak at the University, Chairman Thomas E. Petri '62 announced yesterday. The Council telephoned the invitation to the Russian Consulate in Washington Friday.

A spokesman for Mikoyan said that if he reaches Boston, the deputy permier will "most likely" visit the College. But because Mikoyan is "travelling as a private Russian tourist," his itinerary is very incomplete, Petri was told.

The Council chairman said that he has mailed the invitation to Washington and hopes that Mikoyan will talk informally with students, possibly in the Union.

The Council also made plans Thursday for the eight Masters to speak to freshmen about the respective Houses in a four-meeting series. Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, will present the proposal at a meeting of the Masters this week.

A petition requesting that women guests be permitted in freshman dormitories until at least 11 p.m. on Saturdays "under whatever arrangements the administration wishes to make," has received strong support by the class, the Council reported. The petition, which will be sent to Dean von Stade this week, had 800 signatures yesterday.

Petri was confident that the group would reach its goal of 900 names by tomorrow.