Former Grader Advises Freshmen On Succeeding in Mid-Year Exams

A definite interrelation exists between argumentation and writing exams, Robert M. O'Neil 1L said last night in an address on "Effective Use of Information in Argumentation and Midyear Exams," sponsored by the Freshman Debate Council.

"There is much merit in trying to make some sort of argument in long essays," O'Neil, a former grader in History 164, explained. "In an exam the student is attempting to show the grader how much he knows; he can't just throw in raw facts."

The student should begin by stating his position on the issue in question and his plan of attack, according to O'Neil. He should keep referring to his original stand, making clear the significance of the raw facts he introduces.

Qualify Towards End

It is very easy to become dogmatic on an exam question; to avoid this, the student should be careful to present qualifications toward the end of his essay, O'Neil continued.

Time limitations should be observed, O'Neil went on, but those taking exams should try to write as much as possible, keeping in mind, however, "that a grader hates to read an awful amount of junk."

"A certain amount of suffering during an exam often leads to a great feeling of satisfaction afterwards," O'Neil concluded.