Finletter Seeks Changes In U.S. Foreign Policy

Discusses German Situation

The present crisis in U.S. foreign policy has resulted from "incredibly fast-moving and dangerous world problems" and "powerful inertias working to stop us from adapting ourselves to this fast-moving scene," former secretary of the Air Force Thomas F. Finletter told 400 people in Sanders Theatre last night.

His speech, entitled Foreign Policy--The Next Phase, launched a nation-wide program, "Decisions ... 1959," in the Cambridge area. It focused on specific foreign policy problems and their possible solutions.

German reunification, Finletter noted, "can come about only to the extent that there is a reduction in tensions between the West and the Communists, and as substantial progress is made in the area of disarmament. This policy line deserves more consideration than it has been getting, as "it is the crux of the problem," he said.

"Sovereign State"

The U.S. should not talk of putting West Germany out of NATO, however, "even for the purpose of reducing tensions between the West and the Soviets," he continued, as she has the right to decide for herself. West Germany is a member of NATO and a sovereign state.

Discussing European problems further, Finletter commented that the U.S. should "listen much more sympathetically than we have to proposals such as the Rapacki Plan." He supported the Polish program of setting up an "atom-weapon-free zone on either side of the dividing line in Europe," as this would not reduce Western military strength relative to the Soviets and would ease Russian worries about missile sites close to their territory.

Concerning "the great anti-colonial revolution in Asia and Africa, Finletter said that "U.S. foreign policy is "far behind the event." Certain elements of our policy, such as emphasizing the unilateral use of Western military power in Asia, are thought of as the essence of colonialism, he added.

"Surplus Capital"

Since the Russians have identified themselves with the Anti-Colonial Revolution, they have stepped up their economic aid program in Asia. But as the Russians do not have as much surplus capital as the West, the U.S. should shift its 5-1 proportion of military aid to economic aid and "do its full share in the financing of the rebirth of the peoples of Asia and Africa," he continued.

Finletter also discussed Communist China, disarmament, and the reorganization of the Defense Department. He concluded by citing the difficulties of getting a foreign policy which keeps up to date with the times.