Tito Sees Asia Staying Neutral; McCormack Rates Kennedy High; Pope Calls Church-wide Council

By The ASSOCIATED Press

COLOMBO, Ceylon, Jan. 25--President Tito says his tour of the self-proclaimed neutralist Asian belt has convinced him this area will remain "uncommitted and independent."

Tito summed up what may be the underlying purpose of his junket in telling Yugoslav newsmen who accompanied him: "The general impression from these countries is that they firmly will adhere to their attitude on foreign policy problems and international relations, that they are uncommitted and independent countries, and that they fight to lessen international tension."

Tito struck a popular chord among neutralist Asians in denouncing colonialism, by preaching independence and urging non-alignment.

Kennedy Considered for 1960

WASHINGTON, Jan. 25--Rep. John W. McCormack (D-Mass.) rates Sen. John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts the strongest Democratic presidential candidate for 1960. He predicts Vice President Richard M. Nixon will be the Republican nominee.

McCormack, who is the House majority leader, said Sunday Adlai Stevenson would be "the weakest candidate we could nominate.""

Nixon will get the Republican nomination, McCormack predicted, because he said President Eisenhower has let him take over "pretty good control of the party machinery" including influence on appointments, patronage and other matters.

Pope John Summons Clericals

VATICAN CITY, Jan. 25--Pope John XXIII Sunday summoned an ecumenical council of the Roman Catholic Church aimed at uniting the Christian forces of the world.

The wording of the Vatican statement indicated that Christian churches outside the Roman Catholic Church may be invited to participate in the council.

The call by Pope John for an ecumenical council underscores the urgency that he feels for the state of Christian unity today.

This concern is especially deep over the Orthodox Church in the Soviet Union and the Catholic Church in Red China, where efforts to create a separate Communist-dominated church threatens a schism.