Gen Ed Committee Plans New Humanities Course

A new lower level Humanities course, "centering around drama in a broad sense," will be offered next year by the Committee on General Education, it was learned yesterday. William Alfred, assistant professor of English, and Cedric H. Whitman '38, associate professor of Greek and Latin, will lecture.

"Although Mr. Alfred and I are contemplating the contents for such a course," Whitman said last night, "we have not yet formulated any definite plans." He noted that "my associate interprets the word 'drama' in a broad way, and we may want to include other things in addition to dramatic works."

One result of the new course, Whitman stated, will be to "relieve some of the pressure on a large course like Humanities 2." But he emphasized that the new course, "although it may deal with some of the same themes, is not intended in any sense to replace Humanities 2, but rather to go along with it."

Whitman currently teaches Greek A, and two Greek literature courses. Alfred heads Humanities 3, "Crisis and the Individual," and lectures in Early English Literature. He has written a play, "Hogan's Goal," on the problems of evil, and man's essential aloneness.

At present, there are five Humanities courses offered, ranging from "Epic and Novel" to "Uses of the Comic Spirit." Two of these are limited in enrollment to 200 students.