Members of Government Faculty Express Regret at Martin Defeat

Lloyd I. Rudolph, instructor in Government, yesterday expressed regret over Rep. Joe Martin's 74-70 defeat at the hands of his Republican House colleagues. "I thought Martin's picture on the front page of the Times looked like Pagliacci," Rudolph said.

"Martin's loss to Rep. Halleck is very sad, on the one hand," Rudolph continued. "But, on the other hand, the 1958 election was a liberal victory. The Republicans seem to have taken the results to heart." Martin's 20-year term as GOP leader was ended by the so-called "liberal" faction of his party.

Robert G. McCloskey, professor of Government, concurred with Rudolph that the GOP was trying to modernize itself, saying, "It's a good sign when the Republicans unload the really Old Guard." However, he doubted the widespread effects of the move.

"It is talking moonshine to foresee a new future for the party," he asserted, pointing out the defeat of liberal Sen. John Sherman Cooper of Kentucky in the race for the position of Senate minority leader.

"This move doesn't represent a victory for the modern Republicans," Arthur A. Maass, associate professor of Government, agreed. "The old line is still in control."

The consensus opinion was probably best expressed by William C. Mitchell, teaching fellow in Government, who called Rep. Martin "highly experienced and beloved" but felt that he no longer provided the "imaginative and skillful leadership the Republicans need."