Soccer Team Wins, 6-0; Tufts' Offense Falters

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity soccer squad's prospects for a successful season brightened considerably yesterday afternoon at Medford. Coach Bruce Munro's eleven crushed Tufts, 6 to 0, while Larry Ekpebu, scoring twice for the varsity, filled the trouble-some center forward position in spectacular fashion.

Before the contest, Munro had expressed doubt that any member of the present team could replace departed senior Roger Tuckerman at center. But Ekpebu, substituting for Keith Lowe midway in the first period, quickly began to dispel Munro's fears.

Ekpebu tallied the Crimson's first goal on a head at 12:30 in the first quarter. Late in the second period he just missed a spectacular, diving shot at the left corner of the Tufts goal, and he nearly scored from a sitting position in the third session after running 10 yards on his hands and knees to reach the ball. He got his second score at 12:35 of the third period, taking a perfect pass from wing Tadgh Sweeney and drilling it into the left side of the nets.

Varsity right halfback Charley Steele rivaled Ekpebu in effectiveness. Steele excelled on defense, and his sharp, accurate passes helped keep the ball in Tufts territory most of the game. Marsh McCall and Bill Rapp, Steele's halfback partners, were instrumental in foiling Tufts' spasmodic offensive efforts.

Fullbacks Lanny Keyes and Tim Morgan, though rarely challenged, kept the ball away from the Crimson nets. Varsity goalies recorded only five stops.

On the line, Crimson inside John Mudd displayed an aggressive brand of offensive play that resulted in several near-misses, as well as several jumping-in penalties. Al Butzel, replacing ailing John Hedreen at the other inside, revealed a fine passing instinct and scored the second Crimson goal at 21:30 of the first period, when he pushed the rebound of his own shot past Tufts goalie John McClintock.

Right wing John McIntosh tallied for the varsity after eight minutes of the second quarter, lofting a 15-yard boot just over McClintock's arms. The last two varsity points came late in the last period, against the third Tufts goalie of the day, Jim Didey. Harv Mazer scored on a pass from Nick Lamont for the fifth Crimson goal, and three minutes later Bruce Johnstone tallied on a screened shot in front of the nets.