United States Calls for U.N. Study Of Disarmament Police Systems; Inquiry Panel Given More Time

By The ASSOCIATED Press

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y., Oct. 14--The United States called today for a U.N. study on what kind of international police force should preserve peace if the world accepts Soviet Premier Nikita Khruschev's total disarmament plan.

U.S. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge made the proposal in the 82-nation U.N. Political Committee where debate has started on approaches to disarmament put forth by Khrushchev and Western leaders.

Lodge said the United States sought specific answers also to these questions:

1. What principles of international law should govern use of an international police force?

2. What internal security forces would be required by nations if they agreed to put down their arms?

Steel Inquiry Extended

WASHINGTON, Oct. 14--President Eisenhower's inquiry panel, still plugging against odds for settlement of the marathon steel strike, today was granted an added three days for handing its report to the White House.

Eisenhower agreed to move ahead his deadline for receiving the report from Friday to Monday. The President must get the report, detailing the facts in the dispute, before he can order the Justice Department to seek an 80-day, strike-stopping injunction.

The extension gives the three-man inquiry board more time to try to wangle a peace pact.

It was clear the panel was driving hard in the time left to break the deadlock that has blocked settlement.

The striking United Steelworkers Union completed its arguments on the strike issues Tuesday night.

Army Missile Debuts

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, N.M., Oct. 14--A Nike-Zeus missile--designed to kill ICBMs--made its maiden test flight today across the southern New Mexico desert.

Army spokesmen termed the test a success, although the missile fell short of its goal because of an apparent failure during the coasting phase of the missile's flight.