Journalists Disagree On Position of Nixon As U.S. Policy-maker

Two journalists last night disputed vice-president Nixon's political record, one terming him a statesman who travels the middle of the road, and the other labelling him a politician who aways from one side to the other.

At the third Ford Hall Forum Program of the season at Jordan Hall in Boston, James A. Wechsler, editor of the New York Post, called Nixon an insincere man "who weaves from the right side of the road to the left and should be arrested for drunken driving." He cited the vicePresident's treatment of the Alger Hiss case and his support for negotiations with the Russians as "an example of his twoheaded politics."

Answering the question of the forum, "Nixon as President: Statesman or Politician," Harold E. Clancy, managing editor of the conservative Boston Traveler, said he saw no inconsistency in Nixon's stands.

Clancy praised the vice-President for taking "vigorous stands on all issues." In turn Clancy's opponent accused Nixon of taking both sides of all questions until he decided which side would be more profitable.

"Nixon has no bold ideas to present," Wechsler said, "He has no mission in life by terming Nixon's enemies "political beatniks." "They hate him for no reason." Except to gain personal power."