Soccer Varsity Crushes Wesleyan

3 Last Period Goals Gain 4-0 Victory

By Michael S. Lottman

With an enthusiasm rarely shown against non-Ivy opponents, the varsity soccer team crushed a powerless Wesleyan eleven here yesterday, 4 to 0. The Crimson added three last-period goals to Tadgh Sweeney's second-quarter tally in a remarkable surge of scoring power.

The varsity attack succeeded in dominating play throughout the contest against a Cardinal defense whose most effective tactic was strategic tripping. On the few occasions when Wesleyan invaded Crimson territory, fullbacks Lanny Keyes, Tim Morgan, and Charlie David, and right halfback Charlie Steele stifled the enemy's efforts. Goalie Tom Bagnoli came through brilliantly when a good save was needed.

Coach Bruce Munro had a fine time experimenting with his offensive lineup and approach. He alternated Larry Ekpebu and John Hedreen at center forward and gave wings Sweeney and Dick McIntosh trials at inside. With Ekpebu at center, the team used a charging offense--Ekpebu hung back on defense and tried to run passes right down the middle. Hedreen served more as a pivot man, feeding the rest of the line.

Wesleyan held the Crimson scoreless until 19:50 of the second period, when Cardinal goalie Dick Dubanoski dropped a shot by Ekpebu, and Sweeney pushed the ball into the empty nets for his first score of the season.

With 4:55 gone in the fourth quarter, McIntosh, at right inside, timed a high bouncer near the Cardinal goal perfectly, and drilled it past Dubanoski. Mildly elated after McIntosh's fine shot, the Crimson tallied again two and one-half minutes later, when wing Sam Rodd headed in Ekpebu's corner kick.

It was left for substitute wing Harv Mazer to climax a thoroughly unbelievable day by taking a pass from inside Al Butzel and scoring the varsity's fourth goal with exactly one second left to play. For Mazer, it was the second score in just seven minutes of playing time this year.

Today's victory was fun. The contest Saturday at Penn, however, will be work.