Anti-American Japanese Crowds Riot Against U.S. Military Ties; Parliament Backs Nehru's Stand

Parliament Backs Nehru

NEW DELHI, India, Nov. 27--Prime Minister Nehru won overwhelming approval today for his handling of the border dispute with Red China, after demanding that Parliament back him up or get a new prime minister.

Only one or two noes were heard in the thundering voice vote.

In debate Nehru boldly declared for the first time that the neighboring independent kingdom of Nepal lies within the orbit of India's defenses against Red Chinese incursions. He said attacks on Nepal and protectorate states nearby would be considered attacks on India itself.

Nepal provides a buffer along 400 miles of the high Himalayan terrain between India and Chinese-occupied Tibet. Chinese incursions have come from Tibet where India and Tibet meet west of Nepal, and Chinese forces have been reported on the Tibet-Nepal border.

Closing a three-day debate in the lower house on the dispute in which the Red Chinese killed 12 Indian border patrolmen in two incidents Aug. 26 and Oct. 21, Nehru upbraided the Chinese but said his policy is to settle the issue peacefully if possible.

The event, he said, "could shake the world," but India's plan is to take a calm approach without giving in. For him, he added, this is "one of those peak events of history when the plunge has to be taken in some direction."

Consulate Guard Kidnaped

WASHINGTON, Nov. 27--A Marine guard at the U.S. consulate in Bombay, India, was reported kidnaped and held for six hours today by the staff of the Chinese Communist consulate there.

The State Department said the guard had stayed overnight at a beach house with a would-be defector from Red China, identified as the Bombay representative of the Chinese Import-Export Corp. Sgt. Robert Armstrong, a native of Martinez, Calif., was released after intervention by the Bombay police.

A news dispatch from Bombay said he had been bound and beaten by the Chinese Reds. The dispatch attributed his discovery to an Indian postman. The State Department said only that he had been seen by an Indian citizen as he was being taken, bound, into the Chinese Communist consulate