Applications Rise 15% Above 1958, May Top Record

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Applications for the Class of 1964 are running well ahead of the comparable figure last year, David D. Henry '41, Director of Admissions, commented yesterday.

More than 790 students have already submitted applications for the next freshman class, an increase of 15 per cent over the 1958 figure. At this time last year, applications totaled 699.

Although these early figures show a significant increase, Henry doubted that the overall number of applicants will surpass by a large amount last year's total of 4,200. "It is much too early to predict," he stated, "but the total may rise about 100."

Each application blank this year includes a suggestion to return the form within two weeks, and Henry felt this "partially explains" the greater number of early applications.

The number of personal interviews has also risen this year. Eric Cutler, Assistant Director of Admissions, estimated this figure has risen about 25 per cent. An interview is not required of candidates for admission to the College, but the application form suggests it is worth-while.

Although the number of applicants has increased, there has been no indication the Class of '64 will likewise increase in size. Last year's class of 1,225 students was the largest post-War entering class. Unless additional rooming is available for use by freshmen, however, the Class of '64 will probably be the same size as '63.