Pro Football Team Head Calls Stadium First Aim

President of Local Syndicate Says University Must Benefit in Renting Out Playing Field

By Robert E. Smith

The president of the syndicate that has organized Boston's new professional football team confirmed yesterday that Harvard Stadium is the "prime target" of the group. William H. Sullivan, Jr., local industrialist, said, "Getting the Stadium is as important to us as a good coach."

Although reluctant to discuss his plans because "we don't want premature publicity to influence the University either way," Sullivan said, "We want the best in everything--including the best field in the area."

He claimed, "I would not try for it unless Harvard could benefit from the deal also. There must be advantages in it for both sides."

Renting the Stadium, Sullivan added, would be "another chance for the University to gain acceptance in the community." He was quick to say, however, that he does not plan to use any pressure in his attempt to use the University football field.

He said he was anxious for a meeting with University or Athletic Department officials "to point out the advantages in the deal for Harvard."

Those advantages, according to Sullivan, executive of a Boston coal company, include better community relations, financial income, better groundskeeping equipment, and nationwide circulation of the Harvard name "in connection with a civic project." He plans for national television coverage of seven games.

The president of the syndicate added he has heard no objection to his plan among alumni friends. In fact, he has several alumni working as liaison between the team and the University in connection with the project.

The 10-man group plans to use the Stadium, or an alternative, until its proposed permanent home is built in Newton, a project that Sullivan also heads. However, if the Harvard Athletic Association expressed concern "that we would stay for two years, then pull out, we would be glad to continue use of the Stadium as long as the HAA wished."

Sullivan confirmed yesterday the group's plan for use of the Stadium if the tax-exempt status of the land is threatened by rental to a professional organization. His group, he said, would try to contribute a large amount in the University's name to the United Fund or a similar charity and use the Stadium without charge.

Sullivan has just returned from a meeting in Minneapolis, where the new professional league drafted college seniors for the respective teams.