Sophomore Skaters Spark Improved Crimson Sextet

With the opening game against Boston College only a week away, there is strong indication that this year's hockey team will prove at least as successful as the Crimson eleven.

Coach Cooney Weiland yesterday stated, "We ought to be a much improved hockey club over last year."

Depending mostly on sophomores who are making the climb from last year's superb freshman team, Weiland reveled in his wealth of depth and talent. After a month's practice the team is in excellent shape, the only exception being left wing Tony Nicholas, out with a twisted knee.

The first line will be composed entirely of sophomores. Centered by Mike Grannis from Minnesota, and with Bruce Thomas and Dave Morse at wing, it should show the magnificent teamwork and passing which helped net last year's Yardling record of 18 wins and only three defeats.

While the rookies develop and gain game experience, the team will be seriously hampered by the graduation of Dave Veitze, Bud Hizginbottom, and Dick Fischer, the starting line a year ago. However, Weiland feels, if the Crimson can get through its opening contests with reasonable success, it has an excellent chance to regain the Ivy League title.

The defense remains essentially the same as last year, the only exception being the replacement of Dick McLaughlin by Dave Crosby. Captain Mike Graney, Bob Anderson, and Greg Downes round out the group.

On the second line juniors Stew Forbes and Crocker Snow will team with Jim Dwinell to give Weiland some of the experience he needs.

Most encouraging, however, is the contest for goal, in which Willy Henderson and Bob Bland are both performing excellently. Either will give the team the best netminder it's had in three years.