Masters Drop Grad Student Housing Plan

By Claude E. Welch jr.

A "pious hope" of housing graduate students in the Houses has apparently been dropped for next year, David E. Owen, Master of Winthrop House, said yesterday.

"It doesn't seem possible now," Owen stated, "to move in any significant number of graduates." Last spring, the Masters had hoped to re-institute the pre-war plan of providing rooms for these students, but with pressures of deconversion, increased enrollment, and the need for tutor's offices, the plan has been dropped in effect.

Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, agreed that graduate students "would be a pleasant addition," but doubted that any could be accomodated next year. "Too many students have already asked for deconversion," Perkins stated, "to permit graduate students into the House."

Undergraduates should have "first claim" on any deconverted rooms, John H. Finley, Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House, commented. Both Finley and Owen emphasized that space might be made for "exceptional" graduate students, given the present problem of crowding, but no larger number could join the Houses.

It has been estimated that 280 spaces will become available nevt fall with the opening of the Leverett Towers. Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant to the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, stated enrollment will fill 130 of the spaces.