Council Decides On New Reports

Plans to Investigate Athletics, Harvard-Radcliffe Relations

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Two large-scale reports, one investigating undergraduate athletics at the College and one studying Harvard-Radcliffe relations, will be written during the next year, the Student Council voted last night.

In its marathon three-hour meeting, the Council also voted to set up a preliminary committee to study typing on final examinations and to hold a forum concerning the National Student Association sometime next Fall. Six additional proposals for long-range reports also received preliminary consideration.

James D. Lorenz '60, questioned the "timeliness" of a report on Harvard-Radcliffe relations, and proposed studies both of non-Honors tutorial and the reasons for the recent rise in rent and board rates. Other Council members suggested reports on Dudley House, language requirements, teaching methods, and College admissions policies.

"This is an extraordinary evening, since it shapes our future for the whole year," Lorenz remarked, in reference to the possible Council investigations.

Eugene H. Zagat, Jr. '61, vice-President of the Council, proposed an "open forum" in March to discuss NSA and to set up a committee to study NSA's summer convention. His first motion was soundly defeated, following charges by William M. Kargman '61, that "a forum before the student body at this time will create unrest and lose further Council prestige."