Britain, Greece, Turkey Discuss Plans for Cypriot Independence; National Guardsmen Battle Flood

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LONDON, Feb. 12--Britain, Greece and Turkey pushed toward a lasting peace in Cyprus with swift rounds of talks today aimed at bringing independence to that troubled British colony.

Foreign Secretary Selwyn Lioyd told the House of Commons that talks in London with Greek and Turkish foreign ministers on an agreement on Cyprus were going well. Reliable informants predicted a three-power conference to put the final touches on the accord would open in London Monday or Tuesday.

Greek Foreign Minister Evanghelos Averoff and his Turkish counterpart, Fatin Rustu Zorlu, expressed optimism for winning British approval of the plan to make Cyprus an independent republic. The plan was approved at the Turkish-Greek conference of five days in Zurich, Switzerland.

National Guard Fights Wabash Flood

TERRE HAUTE, Ind., Feb. 12--An army of 100 National Guardsmen joined in a battle of the sandbags today in West Terre Haute, next major target of an historic Wabash River flood, which already has left 1,500 Indiana families homeless. One death was reported.

While the flood-fighting pace quickened in Terre Haute, the high water receded rapidly upstream at Peru, where a deluge poured over the top of a levee Wednesday night and forced 675 people to flee.

Russia Hits Iranian Policy

MOSCOW, Feb. 12--The Soviet Union tonight accused Iran of a "two-faced insincere policy" that led to collapse of Soviet-Iranian negotiations for a treaty.

The United States intervened to prevent the signing of the non-aggresison treaty and worked instead for an Iranian-American military agreement, a Soviet statement declared.

The statement coincided with Washington advices that President Eisenhower had intervened personally to support Iran's Shah in dealing with Moscow.

The United States and Iran are expected to go ahead with negotiations for a direct security agreement, the Washington dispatches said.

U.S. Declines Comment on Berlin

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12--The State Department declined comment today on a published report that the United States has developed a detailed plan for forcing a showdown with the East German Communists over access to Berlin next May 27.

State Department press officer Lincoln White said the department has decided not to comment on any reports or speculation regarding Allied planning about German policy and problems.