Squash Varsity Crushes Quakers, To Face Tough Navy Team Today

The varsity squash team opened its major campaign of the season yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia by soundly defeating Penn, 9 to 0. The Quakers could only pick up two games out of 27 as the varsity began sharpening up for the all-important Navy match today. Gerry Emmet, playing in the number one position for the first time this season, handily disposed of the top Penn player 15-12, 15-9 and 15-8.

Below Emmet, captain Charlie Hamm met equally little opposition in winning 15-5, 18-16, 15-4, but Fred Vinton, playing third in place of the injured Tim Gallwey, dropped a game before downing his man 15-7 and 15-8 in the last two games. Gallwey injured his back slightly, but will be ready to play against the Middies this afternoon.

The rest of the matches went the same way, getting progressively easier towards the bottom of the ladder, as Pete Lund, John Davis, Charlie Poletti, Wally Stimpson, Tony Lake and Kent Allen all won handily at fourth through ninth singles.

But the story will be quite a bit different this afternoon on the hot Navy courts against a rugged and tenacious Middie team. Always dangerous on their home courts, Navy will probably pose the season's major threat to an undefeated season for the Crimson.