Crimson Sextet to Meet Dartmouth In Showdown for Ivy League Title

By John R. Adler

With its victory over Yale Saturday night, Dartmouth has probably ended Harvard's Ivy League hockey supremacy, and is on its way to the Big Green's third major title of the year. But as a cocky football team from Hanover can verify, the Crimson will not surrender its laurels without a battle tonight at Watson Rink. Starting time is 8 p.m.

The sudden Dartmouth success-aided in no small measure by a trip to Minnesota over Christmas--may stimulate the varsity to a top performance tonight in its most important game of the year. As field-Marshal Montgomery said of an underdog, but victorious Dartmouth rugby team in England, "Makes us sit up, you know, keeps us from getting too complacent."

Dartmouth seems to be strictly a home-ice team, as comparative scores indicate. The Indians topped B.U., 7 to 5, at home and lost, 8 to 2, in Boston; they routed Northeastern, 8 to 1, in Hanover and lost, 4 to 3, in Boston; the Green downed Yale twice, but gave away three more goals in New Haven.

The local leather lungs know well that Dartmouth goalie Dirk Frankenberg rattles easily from concentrated distraction. And brawny defensemen Ryan Ostebo and Rusty Ingersoll lose much of their self-assurance without Hanover locals in the stands.

A pair of dangerous lines round out the Indians' team. The second trio--a sophomore contingent of Bobby Moore, Mike Hollern, and Jake Haerti--is probably the most potent scoring threat. The second line tallied three of the four goals scored on Harry Pratt in Hanover, and Ingersoll collected the fourth.

The first line of Rod Anderson, Tom Woman and John Wadman is rated as the "power" line, big and strong and hard skating. Woman did not start in the Yale game, and is a question mark tonight because of an injured nerve in his arm. Forced out of his goalie job by that injury and a broken jaw, the gutsy left wing is Dartmouth's third high scorer.