Model Assembly Planned in April By U.N. Council

Massachusetts High Schools Will Represent Countries

The Harvard-Radcliffe United Nations Council has invited 450 Massachusetts secondary schools to send delegates to a model United Nations session at the College April 18, Howard J. Phillips '62, director of the program, announced yesterday.

Each delegation will represent a particular country which now belongs to the U.N. During the morning a model Security Council, Trusteeship Council, and Economic and Social Council will meet at P.B.H., and in the afternoon a model General Assembly will be held in New Lecture Hall.

Grad Students Advise

Graduate students will serve as advisers to the delegations. "Among these advisers we hope to obtain several foreign students who can explain the intricacies of their own country's foreign policy," Phillips noted.

"This program will conduct as realistic meetings as possible," Phillips explained, "with each delegation defending the interests of the country which it represents. We hope thereby to acquaint the students with the procedures of the U.N."

About 20 per cent of the invited schools are expected to attend. Phillips estimated that at least 350 students would come for the day-long session.

The World Affairs Council and the World Peace Foundation will assist the U.N. Council in making preparations.