Crimson Swimmers Top Brown; Stanley Sets University Record

Weak Bruins Fall, 50-36

By Thomas M. Pepper

In a rather easy victory, the Crimson swimming team downed Brown 50 to 36 as Jim Stanley set a new University 200-yard breast stroke record of 2:27.6. This barely breaks his old mark of 2:27.7 set in last year's Penn meet.

As expected, the varsity had no real difficulty with the weak Bears, losing only in the backstroke and the final relay. Coach Bill Brooks used a number of substitutes in most events, but they had little trouble winning.

Sandy Maw, Doug McCartney, Tom Bartlett, and Dick Seaton took the honors in the medley relay with a time of 4:05.8. Seaton's younger brother Dave took an easy first in the 220-yard freestyle in 2:20.9. Bruce Hunter, as usual, dispensed with his Bruin challenger Ed Nicholson in both the 50 and 100-yard freestyles. His time in the 50 was a breezy 22.8.

Frogkicking Bill Schellstede had little trouble in winning the butterfly and Eric Johnson upset teammate Chick Montgomery in the dive, the latter finishing third. Bob Komenda turned in a good performance winning the 440-yard freestyle over Bob Friedlander in 5:08. Although Brown's best swimmers won the final relay, the winning points did not figure in the outcome.

The Freshman team set back the Brown cubs, 44 to 32, setting two new Freshmen records in the process. Captain Bob Kaufmann's 22.6 broke the 50-yard freestyle mark and was two-tenths of a second faster than Hunter's varsity performance. Hank Southall won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:59.9, breaking his old record of this season.