Dartmouth Defeats Crimson Sextet, 4-3

By John R. Adler

Handing Dartmouth two third-period goals within eleven seconds, the varsity sextet formally surrendered any claim to the Ivy League title last night, losing its first League home game since 1952 by a 4-3 score.

The Indians capitalized four times on some of the worst defensive play the Crimson has shown this season. They managed a sustained attack only intermittently during the evening, and goalie Harry Pratt made only ten saves, compared to 28 for Dirk Frankenberg. It was an evening of frustration for all three Crimson lines, as they dominated play throughout, but couldn't score.

Lanky defensemen Ryan Ostebo and Rusty Ingersoll blocked point shots and slowed Crimson rushes superbly, and Frankenberg failed to rattle from the ten-man cheering section behind him. He stayed on his feet as much as he could, and moved brilliantly on several shots.

What probably made the difference was that the Big Green skated as if it really wanted the game, while the varsity often seemed unwilling to forecheck aggressively. Dartmouth made several of its breaks by forcing the Crimson into sloppy clearing.

Dave Vietze opened the scoring by deflecting Dick McLaughlin's blast from the left alley at 11:59, after the varsity forced play in the Dartmouth zone. Harvard fans were shocked six minutes later when McLaughlin fumbled a pass at his blue line allowing the Indians' high scorer Red Anderson to skate in the right alley and fire the disk into the lower right corner of the goal.

The two teams exchanged single goals in the second period. Paul Kelley received credit for a goal at 9:19 when he deflected Les Duncan's shot through his own legs as Duncan screened Frankenberg. Defenseman Ostebo hit the lower right corner with a long shot at 12:27, as Pratt failed with a leg save.

As the final period began the Crimson appeared ready to turn on the pressure, but the Indians survived two penalties without much trouble. Then at 8:17 Anderson intercepted a Crimson clearing effort to the right of the cage and scored his second goal on another blast to the left corner.

On the following faceoff Dartmouth sprung a two-on-one break on a surprised defense, and Mike Hollern converted Bobby Moore's pass into a goal. The varsity finally aroused itself to action, and Greg Downes scored from the left point as Vietze screened the goalie at 10:09. But Vietze cooled off the attack by drawing penalties at 11:19 and 19:50.

On a more promising note, the freshman sextet stormed to its seventeenth victory by crushing Dartmouth, 10 to 4 in the afternoon. Al Alpine and Dave Morse led the attack with two goals each