Pupils Attend Integrated Schools In Virginia With No Disturbance; Fulbright, Dulles Discuss Berlin

By The ASSOCIATED Press

RICHMOND, Va., Feb. 2--Virginia glumly gave way to racial integration today and hesitantly took 21 Negro children into seven white schools.

The Negro pupils came and went unmolested at schools in Norfolk and Arlington County. In each community, a few white children refused to attend school with them, picked up their books and left.

Special police details turned out to maintain order. But they didn't have to work at it. There were no commotions, serious incidents or even any cat-calls--only the usual loud chatter of bubbling teen-agers.

White House press secretary James C. Hagerty said in Washington that President Eisenhower had been following the integration process in Virginia quite closely and "thinks it is a fine thing that it has been orderly."

Fulbright Confers With Dulles

WASHINGTON, Feb 2--Sen. J. William Fulbright (D-Ark.) said tonight Secretary of State Dulles is seriously considering a counter proposal to Russia on the German issue.

Fulbright, soon to become chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told this to newsmen after an hour-long conference with Dulles at the secretary's home.

Fulbright said he and Dulles discussed various possibilities, including one proposal that both allied and Soviet troops be withdrawn a substantial distance from both banks of the Elbe River. This would leave a wide zone through Germany devoid of either Soviet or allied forces. Fulbright gave no details on the discussion about this suggestion.

Dominicans Blast Batista

CIUDAD TRUJILLO, Feb. 2--The continued presence of Fulgencio Batista is "repugnant and unpleasant" to this country, the Dominican Republic Radio says, backing a suggestion that he get out.

The outspoken broadcast of La Voz Dominicana called Batista an unscrupulous, evil man and a petty figure "hated by the very stones in Cuba."

There is a longstanding feud between Trujillo and Batista. One of Batista's chief henchmen, ex-Sen. Rolando Masferrer, once led an expedition against the Dominican Republic with the intention of overthrowing Trujillo.

Glennan Sees Three-Year Space Lag

WASHINGTON, Feb. 2--Civilian space chief T. Keith Glennan said today it may be three years or more before the United states can match Russia in rocket engine power.

But Glennan and Secretary of Defense Neil McElroy defended President Eisen-hower's budget against Democratic charges of penny-pinching.

Glennan resisted Democratic suggestions that more spending now would put the United States on a par with Soviet rocket power. He said the U.S. space engine effort already is "going under the greatest head of steam we can muster at the present time."