Varsity to Face Favored Eagles On Away Court

By Walter L. Goldfrank

Moving out of the confines of Ivy League competition, the Crimson quintet will face a highly-touted Boston College five at Roberts Center tonight at 8 p.m.

By virtue of their fine win over Holy Cross, the Eagles won the distinction of being the top college team in the Boston area, having racked up a 12-4 record. Included in the roster of their victims are such outstanding quintets as the University of Connecticut, Providence college, and Syracuse.

Eagle coach Don Martin will send a strong starting five onto the court, lacking only in the height department. But B.C. has managed thus far to make up for this deficiency with great team speed and smart, aggressive play, as the record demonstrates.

At the forwards, Martin will use sophomore Kevin Loughery, who is currently leading the team in scoring with a 16.7 average, and 6 ft., 4 in. George Giersch, a rugged rebounder and a consistent scorer, who, incidentally, doubles as a pitcher on the baseball team.

Varsity coach Floyd Wilson will counter with his usual starting alignment of captain Bob Repetto and Bob Bowditch at the forwards, Griff McClellan at center, and George Harrington and Mike Donohue at the guards.

The Crimson has lost its last two games, both league affairs, by substantial margins, and now stands with a 7-7 overall record. The explanation for the poor performances of late can be largely attributed to one factor--bad shooting. Against Yale on Saturday, for example, the varsity hit for only 33 percent from the floor, most of the shots taken at short range, and a meagre 35 per cent from the foul line.

B.C. won last year's encounter, 65 to 60, and judging from the records and man-power of both squads, the varsity will do well to come that close tonight.