Crimson Quintet Favored In Contest With Columbia

The varsity five will be trying to break into the win column after three successive defeats when it travels to New York for tonight's League encounter with Columbia. The Crimson's last victory was over the Lions at the I.A.B. just before exam period, and since then it has suffered at the hands of Dartmouth, Yale, and B.C.

Coach Floyd Wilson expressed some doubts about his starting team, but said he would "probably" start the regulars, Bowditch and Repetto at forwards, Harrington and Donohue in the backcourt, and McClellan at center. "We haven't been shooting well lately," Wilson said, as he summed up the story of the varsity's last three games. If the team hopes to get by Columbia tonight and Cornell tomorrow night, its shooting will have to improve over its poor 21 per cent showing in the first half of the B.C. game.

Surprisingly enough, the varsity rates a slight advantage over Columbia on the boards. The Crimson's poor rebounding record for the season will make little difference tonight, as the tallest man on the Lions' team is Herbert London (6 ft., 5 in.), who will not be starting.

Archie Oldham, in his first year as coach of the Lions, will be counting heavily on the performance of captain Phil Matthews, a senior, and Murray Melton, a sophomore guard. Melton broke Chet Forte's freshman scoring record last year by racking up 531 point for the season and a 25.3 average per game.