HLU Criticizes Draft Extension; Butler to Speak

The Liberal Union is "considering making a protest" in the form of a letter to the Senate Armed Services Committee over passage of a four-year extension of the draft, president James M. Bardeen '60 disclosed last night. The Liberal Union sent a statement to the committee urging a thorough study of the problem.

Bardeen termed the action of Congress "unfortunate," noting that passage of the draft for the four year period" will make revision unlikely for four years more."

"Congress has shirked its responsibilty to revamp our manpower policy," Charles Weiss, Jr. former HLU secretary, declared yesterday. Our present policy, "conceived without any reference to our man-power needs," demands careful study rather than a "too-hasty repassage of the present law," he added.

Butler to Speak to HYDC

In another announcement by a political organization, Kent Higgins '61, stated that Paul A. Butler, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, would address the Harvard Young Democratic Club at their annual Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner April 27.

"Over 1000 people will be invited," Higgins added, "and we expect at least 250 to attend." Among those invited will be Senator John F. Kennedy '40, the two Democratic national committeemen from Massachusetts and members of the executive council for the Massachusetts Americans for Democratic Action.