State Department Disclaims Support of Youth Festival

Group Will Publish Information Book

The State Department is neither encouraging nor discouraging participation by American students in the Vienna Youth Festival, a Department official insisted last night. In yesterday's New York Times, there was a report that the Department was quietly supporting such participation.

Frederick T. Merrill, Director of East-West Contact, told the CRIMSON last night that "we are simply informing all applicants of what is involved in attending the festival."

Denies Another TIMES Report

Contrary to another report in the Times, Merrill denied that the State Department is referring students to the Independent Service for Information on the Vienna Youth Festival. The Service, which is located in Harvard Square, will soon publish descriptive pamphlets on the festival.

Miss Gloria M. Steinem, director of the Service, yesterday announced some of the organization's publication plans. These include a 50 page pamphlet on the festival and a book discussing the questions which foreign students ask most frequently.

"We are trying to prepare American students who will go to the festival so that they can avoid being used by the Communist sponsors and so that they will be able to improve foreign students' understanding of American," Miss Steinem explained.

Many University students and alumni are associated with the Service, which was formed last fall. Paul E. Sigmund, Jr. 6G, teaching fellow in Government, and Clive S. Gray 1G, former International vice-President of NSA, are members of the executive board. Zbigniew K. Brzezinski, assistant professor of Government, is a member of the Service.