Pusey, Monro Support Grad Rooms in Houses

The President of the University and the Dean of the College have expressed qualified approval of a plan to allow graduate students to live in the Houses.

President Pusey limited his comment, which was favorable, to the possibility of a small number of students representing the graduate schools in each House. He pointed out that this would allow undergraduates to have contact with men studying in post-College fields that interest them, and with foreign students.

Agreeing with Pusey, Dean Monro also emphasized the financial aspect of the plan. "Graduate students," he said, "would represent an economic advantage to the Houses."

Referring to the complaint that the Masters are now responsible for too large a number of undergraduates, Monro asserted that moving graduate students into the Houses would "add rent-payers without increasing the Masters' burdens." Monro also pointed out that many graduate students who attended Harvard College have friends in the Houses and might want to take part in the plan.

Monro added, however, that he would favor the availability of more House suites for resident tutors as an eventual alternative.

The Masters Committee recently approved the plan, noting that there will probably be about 150 new places in the Houses, and that large-scale deconversion is precluded because undergraduates "cannot afford or do not want to pay for it." They pointed out that in the thirties when graduate students lived in the Houses they were "a valuable addition to House life."