Gettysburg Discussions Conclude In Talks on Economy, Mid-East; Nasser Says Kassem Denied Aid

GETTYSBURG, Pa., March 22--President Eisenhower and Britain's Prime Minister Harold Macmillan joined in prayers for world peace today while their top aides considered steps to deal with Russia's economic threat to the free world, and the Mid-East situation.

Both the President and the Prime minister were described as pleased with the results of their far-ranging talks. The highlight of their meeting was an agreement on a formula for a summit conference with Russia's Premier Nikita Khrushchev sometime this summer. Late July or August was considered the most likely time, with Geneva as the probable site.

The Middle East review was believed to have focused on the bitter argument between Iraq and the United Arab Republic, which has raised tensions throughout the entire area. Top American officials are known to favor a strict hands-off policy toward this quarrel.

The economic phase of the talks covered a joint desire to coordinate Anglo-American trade policies to meet Russia's mounting trade and aid drive around the world.

Claims Kassem Refused Aid Against Israel

CAIRO, Egypt, March 22--President Gamal Abdel Nasser charged today that Iraq's Premier Abdel Karim Kassem refused to join with the United Arab Republic in a "decisive battle" against Israel late last year.

In another of his anti-Communist speeches broadcast from Damascus, capital of the Syrian region of the U.A.R., Nasser today recalled a series of Syrian-Israel border clashes in 1958.

"We decided to enter a decisive battle against Israel if aggression continued," Nasser declared. "We then asked Kassem, under the terms of our military agreement, to send Iraqi army units, but Kassem refused. We knew we would be alone if we entered a conflict with Israel."

Revolt Continues in Tibet

NEW DELHI, India, March 22--Fires were reported seen today in two Buddhist monasteries in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa, possibly indicating that Chinese Communist forces had shelled or bombed them in an effort to put down a large-scale rebellion.

There was no way of confirming the report, which reached usually reliable sources at Kalimpong on the Indian-Tibetan border despite suspension of telegraphic communications between India and the capital of the walled-in Himalayan country.