College Expects 4300 Applicants For Class of '63

Applications for the Class of 1963 are running 75 ahead of the comparable figure for the Class of '62. The total is expected to reach a record high of about 4,300 by the end of April.

Although the anticipated increase of 100 applicants over last year is not particularly significant, slightly more than this number are expected to request financial aid, Fred L. Glimp '50, Director of Freshman Scholarships, pointed out yesterday. "With charges as high as they are now, people who formerly could pay their way are filing scholarship applications, he explained.

Besides increasing in size, the present group of applicants has shown a corresponding gain in mental prowess. The median score of candidates on the mathematical part of the Scholastic Aptitude Test was 655--a gain of 20 points over the record high of the Class of '62. The median on the verbal section rose from 612 to 625.

Since the National Merit Scholarship Corporation will award 300 fewer scholarships than last year, a corresponding decrease in the number of scholarship winners attending the College is expected. Glimp expressed hope, however, that funds will be provided by the College to maintain the present number of students receiving aid.

Planning the new class's opening week, Dean von Stade said that by the end of orientation next fall every newcomer will have been to the Freshman Deans' office at least twice to hand in study cards and other forms.

The effect of this will be to familiarize the Freshman with the location of the Deans' office and with the people working in it, he said.