Civil War?

Though Mayor Wagner has yet to block the Hudson and barricade the Thruway, the secession crisis between city and state is rapidly becoming critical. City Democrats are fed up with the paltry allotment of tax monies which Albany Republicans vote them, and are now considering the possibility of taking the city out of the state altogether. Westchester Country, lush back yard for Madison Avenue, would presumably join the new enclave.

We're all for this maneuver. GOP dairy farmers have milked city residents too long; without the port and industries of the metropolis, the rest of New York would have a few apple orchards and one honeymoon site. If the city secedes, Governor Rockefeller will have to resort to war or blockade, or watch the withered state slowly decay into Mid-Western Lassitude.

Of course the plucky Gothamites face the problem of getting supplies. Rockefeller presumably will not let food come into the city via upstate and may even blockade the port with Oyster Bay launches.

The CRIMSON recommends recruiting a Harvard Legion of blockade runers to keep the city victualled. With all displaced New Yorkers enlisting and Seymour Harris serving as Quartermaster General, the great city should have no trouble in defeating Albany's dull and plodding tyranny.