Cleveland, Milwaukee, Chicago Win Openers

The White Sox, the Indians, and the Braves garnered wins yesterday in the Major League circuit. The Red Sox opening game in New York was postponed until today because of rain.

In the 14th inning in Detroit, Nellie Fox hit a two-out, two-run home run to give the Chicago White Sox a 9-7 victory. The peppery little second baseman, who failed to hit a home run in 623 times at bat last season, connected against Don Mossi just after Sam Esposito lined a single to left field.

It was Fox's fifth base hit in seven official trips in the contest that lasted 4 hours and 25 minutes. The two teams used 43 players, only one short of the American League record set in 1956 by Boston and New York.

Cleveland needed three pitchers in the ninth inning to defeat the Athletics, 6 to 4, in an American League opener in Kansas City. Gary Bell, entering the ninth with a four-run lead, gained one out and gave up three singles and a run before being relieved by Herb Score.

After walking two and allowing a run on a wild pitch, Score was pulled for Dick Brodowski, who put out the fire.

An 8-0 win over the Pirates put the Milwaukee Braves off to a running start at Pittsburgh in the opener of their '59 pennant drive. The victory was Warren Spahn's 44th Major League shutout.