Lacrosse Team Bows, 11-8

Trailing 8 to 3 late in the third period, the disorganized Boston Lacrosse Club finally began to play as a unit and defeated the varsity 11 to 8 on a slippery Business School Field here Saturday. The varsity scored five of its goals in the first seven minutes of play, before the regular BLC goalie--who arrived at the field after play had begun--took over.

Throughout the early stages of the game, some members of the BLC starting team didn't even know the names of the other starters, and the team's confusion continued throughout the first half. It wasn't until the second period that the Club realized it had a former All-American midfield sitting on the bench. He was hastily pressed into service.

Before the game was a minute old, Crimson midfielder Manuel Cabral scored the first goal of the afternoon against Boston's second string goalie. A few minutes later, Nick Lamont flicked in a running shot from the right.

Within the next two minutes, Lamont stole a pass and scored again, and attack-man Dave Bohn sank two goals both on passes from Lamont. Near the end of the period, Boston attack Skip Bohn netted a right handed bounce shot from near the center to make the score 5 to 1.

The second period was much less onesided, as Dave Bohn scored again for the varsity, while Dick Austenhymer and former Crimson star Moe Baldwin tallied for BLC. But during that period, the varsity's chances were seriously damaged when Lamont left the game with a sprained ankle. Except when Charlie Devens substituted for a few minutes of the fourth period, attacks Bohn, Andy Leaf, and Jerry Pyle had to stay in for the rest of the game.

After 11 minutes of the third period, it looked as if the Crimson had sewed up the game. Cabral's goal early in the frame put the varsity ahead 7 to 3, and after 10 minutes of indecisive lacrosse, Andy Leaf sunk what was to be the varsity's last score.

But here the defensive line of Ed Tarlov, Lanny Keyes, and Bron Thayer--which played the whole game--weakened, and Boston got three fast goals in the last minutes of the period.

At 3:18 of the fourth period, Boston attackman Gabriel tied the game up and from then on it was no contest. Substituting freely, they outran the tired varsity and went on to win 11 to 8.