Undefeated Rugby Team to Face New York

A Crimson team will once more have to contend with Phil Tarasovic, when the rugby squad faces the New York Rugby Club today at Soldier's Field. Tarasovic, who put fullback Tony Gianelli out of action in the '55 Harvard-Yale football game, will start for New York as a scrum hooker. He now weighs in at 240 pounds and should provide considerable power in New York's forward line.

The Crimson, entering the contest with four wins and no losses, may be facing their toughest opponent so far this spring. Paced by Noel Feddis, perhaps the best player in the Eastern Rugby Union, New York is composed of men who have played rugby either in American colleges or on English club and university teams. Feddis saw action at Cambridge University and is honored as an Irish International rugby star.

Also bolstering New York will be inside center John Fitzsimmons and wing Mike Kornfield. Kornfield, now at N.Y.U. Medical School, played for three years on the Crimson rugby team as an undergraduate.

After splitting two games on a Bermuda trip this spring, New York blanked the Montreal Barbaraians 6 to 0, and then crushed Wesleyan, 24 to 0. Crimson Club present Bill Morse feels that "besides Princeton and Dartmouth, New York will be our strongest opponent."

The undefeated Crimson squad has already made a distinguished record this spring, and today will be fielding an even stronger team than that which crushed Montreal last week. Before downing Montreal, Harvard defeated M.I.T. to win the Woburn Trophy and then went on to capture the Bermuda Intercollegiate Rugby Title.

The Crimson fifteen will be braced by the return of hooker Jim Keating and fullback Dick O'Neil, who will bring added strength and experience. Both were out with injuries for last week's victory over Montreal.

David Holmes, however, is a doubtful starter since his face was badly lacerated in practice this week. Resulting from a blow by Shag Shaunessey, the injury required twelve stitches. Frank Schwartz will fill in for forward Dick Baker, who is also unable to play.

The game is scheduled for 2 p.m., and will be followed by contests between M.I.T. and Montreal (Westmount) and the second teams of Harvard and New York.

On paper the first teams look quite even, with the visitors having the edge in experience. If the Crimson can stop their heavy scrum and fast backs it may look forward to the remaining games with confidence.