Overseers' Committee Has Meeting at 'Cliffe

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The Overseers' Committee to Visit Harvard College broke precedent yesterday afternoon by visiting Radcliffe College. In tacit recognition of a long series of moves which have gradually made Radcliffe College and Harvard College almost indistinguishable, the Overseers' committee took time out to consider some of the problems posed by this as yet informal merger.

Six undergraduates, three from Harvard and three from Radcliffe, spoke briefly to the Overseers on how the changing relations between the two colleges have affected their organizations. For the most part, this meant a discussion of mergers in the various groups represented.

The Radcliffe students present were Louise N. Bell '59 of the HDC, Janet Webster '60, president of the Radcliffe SGA, and Martha E. Miller '59, a CRIMSON editor. Harvard students were Bryce E. Nelson '59, a former president of the CRIMSON, Ralph T. McLean '59, former president of the Harvard Yearbook Publications, and Harlow Russell III '60, president of the Pierian Sodality.

After meeting with students and taking tea in Comstock Hall, the Committee went to Winthrop House, where it discussed the recent "affiliation" between several Radcliffe dormitories and Harvard Houses.

Yesterday actually marked the first time that Harvard Overseers have met formally with Radcliffe trustees and Deans, and for many the meeting foreshadowed further changes in the relationship of Radcliffe to Harvard University. There have been conjectures, increasing steadily since the joint Harvard-Radcliffe financing of the new theatre, that Radcliffe would one day become a part of Harvard University, and at this time, with President Jordan planning to retire soon, such suspicions have increased considerably.