Subsidies and Rugby

The imbalance that frequently characterizes the financial decisions of the Harvard Athletic Association reached a highpoint in the HAA's treatment of the rugby team last Saturday.

Such sports as lacrosse, sailing, skiing and golf, styled "minor sports" by the HAA, receive no financial support from the College, other than scattered coaching or equipment. Some, such as skiing, have been surprised that this year, with new resources to be devoted to sports under the Program, their modest subsidies were suddenly ended. To most of these sports a grant of a few hundred dollars would be of major importance. All of them could survive all year on what it costs to fly a "major" team to a couple of away games.

In the case of the rugby team, which averages better home attendance than the varsity baseball team, the HAA grants no subsidy whatever and seals off other sources by not permitting team members to pass the hat among the crowd. But the coup de grace came Saturday when the HAA charged admittance to the rugby game. Although it collected admission for both the baseball and rugby contests on Soldiers Field, only one of these sports benefits from an HAA subsidy.

This is a direct imposition not only on the people who both play and support rugby, but also on the several hundred spectators. Whether a spectator paid by cash or coupon, he did so with the understanding that his payment was connected with supporting the contest.

The HAA cannot excuse itself by claiming that the entrance fee was really intended for the nearby baseball game. To do so acknowledges the principle it here denies, that of not charging admission without granting support. If a sport such as rugby is denied College financial support, whether on grounds of limited importance or University-wide participation, it should not be exploited as a source of revenue.

What is necessary is that the minor sports receive minor subsidies. To continue the present "all or nothing" system means that only people with money are perfectly free to select their sport. This is fair neither to the undergraduate nor to the many alumni who have recently given several millions to the athletic program.