Dartmouth Bows To Tennis Squad

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Captain Ned Weld scored a smashing 6-2, 6-3 upset victory over Dartmouth star Dick Hoehn to lead the varsity tennis team to an 8-1 rout of the Indians yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Considered a definite underdog to Hoehn (who gave Yale's Don Dell two tough sets last Saturday), Weld dropped the first two games, then reeled off eight in a row. Hoehn managed to pull up to 4-3 in the second set with a service break, but Weld broke his opponent in the eighth game, winning the final point on a beautiful crosscourt forehand that just nicked the tape.

The Crimson captain held his service in the ninth game to take the match. It was a fine victory for Weld, who has been playing some excellent tennis for the varsity at number one.

On the next court, meanwhile, Dartmouth's Bill McClung put on quite an exhibition at the expense of the Crimson's Bob Bowditch, winning by 6-2, 6-1, for the Indians' only point.

The varsity swept the remaining matches with the loss of just two sets. Tim Gallwey beat Ron Picket, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3; Fred Vinton crushed Jack McDonough, 6-1, 6-3; Jorge Lemann defeated Phil Langley, 6-2, 7-5; and Bill Wood routed Jack Herrick, 6-1, 6-2.

In the first doubles match, Hoehn and Picket broke Bowditch's service twice to take the first set. But Bowditch's and Weld grew steadier and swept the second set easily. With the score 4-4 in the deciding set, the Crimson pair broke Hoehn for the fourth time in a row (this time at love) and held Weld's service in the next game for the match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Gallwey and Vinton, playing second doubles, notched an impressive 7-5, 6-3 win over McClung and McDonough, who had beaten Yale's second doubles team last Saturday. At third doubles the "cough drop kids," Langden Smith and Pete Smith, rounded out the match with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Phil Langley and Opie Jones.