Radcliffe Approaches Time of Consolidation

Jordan Sees Merger As Distant Possibility

By Victoria Thompson

Wilbur K. Jordan, president of Radcliffe, yesterday expressed the opinion that Radcliffe is entering "a period of consolidation" after passing through two decades of fairly rapid changes. Although he did not comment directly on recent suggestions for an integration of Radcliffe into the University, Jordan indicated that such a move might become desirable in the future.

The President feels that such an integration would have few advantages at the moment. He stressed that "the main business of a college is education" and that becoming part of the University would supply few educational advantages not already held by Radcliffe.

However, Jordan indicated that, as college administrative problems grow more and more complex, some type of merger might become advantageous. As a result of this increasing burden, there has been a growing number of resignations from high college administrative posts, and last month McCall's Magazine stated that this was the compelling reason behind Jordan's recent resignation.

'Cliffe Holds Unique Position

Radcliffe, according to Jordan, enjoys "the best of two worlds." It combines "the virtues of coeducation with the advantages of separateness." Thus, for example, Radcliffe organizations have the option of either retaining their autonomy or merging with Harvard.

The alumnae of the College are concerned over any threat to Radcliffe's independence, Jordan also pointed out. Most alumnae harbor a "fierce loyalty to this symbol that is Radcliffe," he asserted, and would regret any infringement on the status of their alma mater.