Monro Details Changes to '34

The College is in a period of "dynamic change," Dean Monro told his classmates in the Class of 1934 yesterday at a reunion symposium--"Harvard 25 Years Later."

Monro categorized the change in three main themes, emphasizing first that students at the College now have an increasing quality of academic ability. He told about 200 alumni and their wives that a college career is no longer the end of the road educationally. At least 80 per cent of today's senior class--about twice as many as in 1934--will go on to graduate school, he said.

Harvard has changed in its architecture, Monro also stated, describing the two "centers of beauty," on the river and in the Yard, that are being emphasized in future plans. Monro concluded by describing the third "dynamic change," the increased closeness of Radcliffe in undergraduate activities.

Other speakers were John H. Finley Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House, who traced the College's House system and its value to the curriculum, and Dean Bender, who outlined admissions policy.