Governor Opens New Arts Center Theatre

The first state-financed theatre in the country and the first professional theatre built in the Boston area since 1925 was dedicated last Thursday evening by Governor Furcolo in an impressive ribbon-cutting ceremony backed by the firing of cannon and the blaring of medieval trumpets.

The theatre is of circular shape. It has a tilted, inflated, lens-shaped nylon roof 145 feet in diameter. The stage is flexible enough to accomodate either proscenium productions or three-quarters-arena shows. The seating capacity is approximately 1800.

Prior to the dedication and opening performance, local citizens prominent in the arts, business and industry attended a formal dinner at the Museum of Science. They then proceeded by boats up the Charles River to a specially constructed dock near the new theatre. During the 35-minute ride, expensive cigars, small bottles of brandy, and coffee were distributed. On disembarkation the riders were met by bright lights and a barrage of television cameras. And during the first intermission of Twelfth Night, a fireworks display was set off over the River.

The entire Boston Arts Center is the result of the vision and collaboration of four enterprising men: Perry T. Rathbone '33, Director of the Museum of Fine Arts; William Morris Hunt '36, Executive Producer of the Cambridge Drama Festival; Nelson W. Aldrich '34, Chairman of the Board, Boston Arts Festival: and Jerome M. Rosenfeld, President of Jerome Press Publications.

Rehearsals are already well under way for the Theatre's second production, Shakespeare's Macbeth, which will open on July 30 with Jason Robards, Jr. in the title role and Siobhan McKenna as his Lady.