Former UN Assembly President To Give Summer School Courses

Full Program Announced

Former United Nations General Assembly President Charles H. Malik heads a list of visiting educators who will offer courses in the Summer School this year. Irish playwright W. Dennis Johnston, and A. A. Mendilow of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem are also included in the list of visiting educators announced by the Summer School staff yesterday.

Malik, currently a visiting professor at Dartmouth, will teach two courses, one in international relations and another in political theory. Mendilow, who is the first Israeli professor to visit the Summer School in recent years, plans to conduct two courses in English literature.

In addition to 171 half and 155 full courses, the Summer School will present two national conferences and an International Seminar. One conference, jointly sponsored by the Graduate School of Education, will deal with junior colleges. The second, led by Robert Thayer, Director of the State Department's Bureau of Cultural Coordination, will explore "International Cultural Relations of the United States."

Concomitant with the announcement of courses, retiring Summer School Director William Y. Elliott issued a statement expressing his regret at leaving in order to return to "writing and scholarly pursuits." A new director has not yet been selected.

Eliott added that "I have become convinced that the face that Harvard presents in the summer to the nation and to the world is one of the most interesting aspects of the University's total impact on the cultural life of our times."

Among the other visiting educators this summer are William Foxwell Albright, Professor Emeritus of History at Johns Hopkins University; Mantle Hood, associate professor of Music at U.C.L.A.; and Philip Rieff, associate professor of Sociology at the University of California.