New "International House" Planned for Health School

University Acquires 3 Fenway Buildings

New living quarters patterned after the undergraduate Houses will be provided next Fall for foreign and American students in the School of Public Health. The University has purchased three apartment buildings on Park Drive in Boston's Fenway area, and plans to converet them into an International House for married and single students.

In announcing the project yesterday, Dr. John C. Snyder, Dean of the Faculty of Public Health, emphasized the need to provide adequate housing for foreign students who make up one-third of the enrollment in the School.

"We must be sure that these professional people, people of dignity and stature in their own countries, carry away with them the friendship of the citizens of the United States," he commented. In the past, some foreign students have encountered difficulty in securing apartments in the Boston-Cambridge area.

Single and Family Units Planned

Rooms for single students will include foyer, living room and bedroom combination, bath and kitchenette. Family units, somewhat larger, will also include outdoor play areas for children.

Current plans also include the building of lounges, a recreation area, and a library to be shared by all students. President Pusey yesterday likened this plan to "the 'community of scholars' idea which is so successfully applied in the undergraduate Houses and in the Graduate Center in Cambridge."

Purchase of the Park Drive apartments cost the University $350,000, of which $100,000 was contributed in recent months by organizations and alumni. An additional $200,000 for converting the buildings into an International House is being raised by a committee under the direction of Abraham M. Sonnabend '17.