Sextet Tops Cornell, Upsets Clarkson, 5-1

By John R. Adler

Clarkson wings saw nothing but their opposite Crimson forwards for 60 minutes Friday night, as the varsity hockey team put on its most artful exhibition in two years to upset the powerful Golden Knights, 5 to 1, before holding down the score to a merciful 9 to 0 the next evening against helpless Cornell.

The victories increased the Crimson's season record to 6-4-1, and evened its Ivy mark at 1-1, but more significantly, gave promise that at last the team is ready to cope with the best the East can offer. The varsity will not meet a better center than Clarkson's Mel Tomalty, except for B.U.'s Bob Marquis, but against the Crimson, Tomalty looked like a man deserted by his last friend.

Time and again the Golden Knights' star performer stick-handled his way into Crimson ice, looked around, and found both his wings covered by the alert varsity forwards. With no one to pass to, or to set him up, Tomalty, who has averaged nearly three points per game, was held scoreless, as were all his teammates but Dick Sledziewski, who scored the only Clarkson goal at 3:05 of the opening period.

For the first time, the Crimson played relaxed, confident hockey--and made the New York team play the varsity's game. Coach Cooney Weiland's strategy unfolded period by period in a manner that was truly beautiful to watch.

After the shaky start, during which Sledzziewski's flat 15-foot shot skidded into the left corner of the cage, the Crimson waited for Clarkson--and the breaks--to come its way. After a flurry around the Clarkson nets, the varsity wings would fall back to the blue line and wait until an errant pass came their way again.

The win was decidedly a team effort. Each of the lines broke into the scoring column at least once, and all three sets of wings brought roars of approval from the partisan crowd for their alert defensive play. Particularly outstanding was the play of junior Ted Ingalls, who handcuffed the Clarkson left wing throughout the game.

After typing the score at 1 to 1 midway through the first period on a rebound by Bruce Thomas on Dave Morse's shot, the Crimson was never in trouble, as it provided none of the solo breaks that marred its effort against Brown. Clarkson was not without its scoring opportunities, but varsity goalie Bob Bland played a superb game in the nets. Bland occasionally needed help from the left post, but turned away a total of 40 shots, many of the difficult screened variety, in running his personal record to three wins and a tie.

Following Thomas's goal, scored during a power play pile-up in front of the nets, the Crimson took the lead for good on a quick shot by Dean Alpine following passes from Ingalls and Tom Heintzman.

Heintzman Breaks Stick

Bill Beckett scored the first of his second-period goals after Crocker Snow had sprung loose Stew Forbes with a neat drop pass at the blue line. Forbes blasted a 20-foot shot at goalie Bill Armstrong and Beckett alertly caged the rebound. Seconds later, the Crimson was deprived of a fourth tally when Tom Heintzman's stick broke as he was about to push the puck into an empty goal.

The varsity finished the scoring with two more second period goals, one by Morse at 6:30 on passes from Thomas and center Jim Dwinell, and the final tally by Beckett at 13:46, a hard wrist shot from 30 feet out on the left that just caught the upper right corner.

Cornell Bows

Cornell simply lacked the individual talent to press the varsity, but improved on last year's scores of 18 to 0 and 13 to 0. Dwinell had two unassisted goals and an assist, tying Forbes for the team scoring lead with 12 points. Forbes contributed a goal and two assists, Dave Crosby got two goals from his defensive position to lead the team with six, and Thomas also registered two tallies. Crimson goalie Pete Tague had to field but five shots during the last 40 minutes.

Tonight the sextet will play one period against the U.S. Olympic team at Boston Garden, starting at about 8:30 p.m