Ceremony to Initiate Work on Observatory

Ground-breaking ceremonies for the constructions of the new wing on the Harvard College Observatory will take place Monday at 11 a.m., Edward Reynolds '15, Administrative vice-President of the University, said yesterday. He further stated that all final contract arrangements for the $1 million computation center will be completed today with the Canter Construction Co.

Those who will be present at the include ceremonies will include Reynolds; Donald H. Menzel, Director of the College Observatory; Fred L. Whipple, Director of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory; the architects from the firm of Griswold, Boyden, Wylde & Ames; and officials of the Department of Buildings and Grounds.

Completion Within a Year

Completion of the 40,000 square foot "F"-shaped structure is expected within a year. The four-story building with a glass and concrete facade will be connected to the rotunda of the present College Observatory.

New Computer Included

Within the new addition there will be complete office and laboratory space, as well as room for a new high-speed IBM 709 digital computer--a faster model than the one now used by the Smithsonian to track earth satellites.